Better choice: open plan living or separate kitchen/diner?
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1

Open plan living, or separate?

Separate kitchen, dining room, and lounge
No votes
Open kitchen-diner, but separate lounge
50%
Totally open kitchen/dining/lounge
50%

Total votes: 2
buffieschulte
Labourer
Labourer

Better choice: open plan living or separate kitchen/diner?

by buffieschulte » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:49 pm

Hi there,

We are going to do an extension across the back of the house we're buying, and plan to do a huge open space incorporating a new kitchen, the dining, and the living area. We will probably only be living in the house for a few years (we're expats) so the house is also an investment for us, and as such, we're trying to consider re-sale with our decisions. I'm American, and kitchens opening into dining and living spaces are common, but not as much here. Any advice as to which is the more preferable- an open kitchen diner with a separate living space, or are totally open plans gaining more popularity? The house is a 4 bed detached, in a fairly newish estate popular with families.

Thanks in advance!

Just wanted to add: the original lounge (which we'll use as a playroom) will still be a separate room, the open plan bit will be at the back, and there is also a separate study.

Dan the man
Ganger
Ganger

by Dan the man » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:38 pm

I have just made my downstairs all open plan, I prefer it but the norm in UK is Kitchen and dining room open and living room seperate but times are changing so go for it!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:27 am