Better than Nothing for Installing Magnaclean
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AaronMagna
Labourer
Labourer

Better than Nothing for Installing Magnaclean

by AaronMagna » Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:39 pm

I have a strange setup where my Boiler is on the landing, and any magnaclean install before the Boiler would be extremely unsightly so I won't be able to do that. In the airing cupboard, all the pipework is so tight to the walls and each other there will be nowhere sensible to place a magnaclean (Or similar). The system is open vented, and if I am correct a Honewell Y-Plan. The cross pipe in the H between the F&E tank, boiler and pump gets severely restricted due to sludge about once a year. I have just flushed the system through and replaced the pump with a stronger one. I have restarted the central heating and it was flowing into the F&E. at a ridiculous rate. Now this is partly due to me cocking up the setting and the pump was far too high, but also the H is blocked again.

So the question is this. Can I cut out the cross pipe and horizontally put a magnaclean in its place. Its about the only place I could put one in the system, so not ideal but better than nothing and would if nothing else protect the pump!!

What I am really unsure of is the effect of any resistance caused by putting the magnaclean in there? I could counter balance any resistance as I put a Valve in the expansion so I could do the flush?

Any thoughts appreciated

Aaron
Attachments
Picture of airing cupboard and restricted option for an install
Picture of airing cupboard and restricted option for an install

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Better than Nothing for Installing Magnaclean

by stoneyboy » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:19 pm

Hi Aaronmagna
It looks like your proposed location is in the flow pipe from the pump. It is recommended by the manufacturers that the cleaner is located in the return pipe before the boiler.
Regards S

AaronMagna
Labourer
Labourer

by AaronMagna » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:00 pm

Thanks for the response, but as I alluded to in my description, I can't put the magna clean there. My question is I have two options to realistically insert a Magnaclean into the system, either the cross pipe, will that force water up the vent pipe to the F&E tank? or can i raise the cross beam and place it before/after?

All other locations are not practical, or far too unsightly. Given the Pump was gummed up, it should protect that. and at least being in the system should be better than not having one, unless the flow at this point means that it could cause other issues hence the question.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:55 am

Hi aaronmagna
Whilst I understand you do not want to see the cleaner in the return pipework the manufacturers specify this location for a reason. It may be that the plastic components cannot withstand CH flow temperatures - at least not for sustained periods.
I would not recommend it for the above reason but you could take the H section higher and fit the cleaner underneath the pump, if you fit it in the cross section as you suggest I suspect you will end up with continuous flow from the vent pipe.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:57 am