Big Gaps at the Base of the Wall, What to do Next ?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
raphaellab
Labourer
Labourer

Big Gaps at the Base of the Wall, What to do Next ?

Post by raphaellab » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:28 am

Dear all

I am working on an old house from the 1870s. I am currently redecorating the main bedroom, mainly to replace an ingrain wallpaper and then the carpet with floorboard. The bottom of the lay was stuck beneath a skirting board, so i have decided to remove the skirting board to be able to completely remove the ingrain wallpaper. Most of the skirting boards were glued to the wall, but in some places it was nailed to the base board below. And beneath i have unveiled some big gaps, and crumbling plaster. I intended to apply some filler to lean the wall before putting lining paper. But this is something more than the small cracks i had seen so far. Please note that i have some other big works that i want to focus on in the short term, so i would like to find an effective way to redecorate this room without major works. Would you have a solution for this ? You will find some photos of the wall enclosed.
IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gc1967
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Big Gaps at the Base of the Wall, What to do Next ?

Post by gc1967 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:36 pm

You removed all the skirting boards to remove the wallpaper ?
Why didnt you just run round the top of the skirting board with a stanley blade and then strip all the wallpaper off, would have saved you so much work, time and effort.
If they are big gaps, I would thoroughly clean out, pva the gaps and then apply some bonding plaster in the big gaps and then once that is dry I would easi - fill over all gaps and cracks, sand down all the walls, apply a coat of wallpaper size to the walls, and then hang my new lining paper.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:53 pm