Black Gravel in Clay Ridge Tiles
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Partly Cloudy
Labourer
Labourer

Black Gravel in Clay Ridge Tiles

Post by Partly Cloudy » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:50 pm

I thought I'd replace some damaged clay angled ridge tiles on the roof of my house built in 1936.
There is a black crumbly filling, like gravel under all the ridge tiles. I've added some photos. This gravel is damp because the mortar had mostly dropped out over the years and the tiles had holes in them.
The roof doesn't look like it has been touched since the house was built.
What is this gravel and what purpose was it meant to serve?
Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Black Gravel in Clay Ridge Tiles

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:09 am

Hi partlycloudy,
It is there to stick the ridge tiles in place so they do not blow off in high winds.
Regards S

Partly Cloudy
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Partly Cloudy » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:45 am

Thanks for the info Stoneyboy. It's obviously degraded from being mortar to soft gravel over the years. It didn't have any adhesive quality left at all, so I brushed it out where I replaced ridge tiles and will rely on the mortar I used to bed in the new ridge tiles and their own weight. The original Acme Sandstorm roof tiles on one side of the roof are so frost-damaged now, that I'll have to have the whole roof retiled this summer, so my ridge tile replacements are only temporary.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:57 pm

Hi partlycloudy,
Thanks for responding.
Use a weak mortar mix so the ridges can be easily removed for the re-roof.
You will never know the conditions when the ridges were laid but if it was a hot sunny day it’s fairly certain that the mortar will have dried out and not set properly.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:40 pm