Black Mould on wall inside front door
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gwenn
Labourer
Labourer

Black Mould on wall inside front door

Post by gwenn » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:24 am

About 3 years ago we had a new front step built and over the past 2 years we have had black mould on our internal wall at door starting from the floor level and going up wall in patches,tried washing off and painting over it but it keeps coming back, have had 2 builders out and both have said different things,both have said our step is on the damp proof line,one said thats not the problem but will remove step and have a look for the problem,put step back at same height for £250,the other said its not to big a job move step away from wall, put in some kind of space grill thing and that will let the wall behind step breathe all for £60. I dont know who to believe and should my step be lowered down so its not in line with the damp course. Please help, I'm happy to pay if it sorts the problem but who appears to know what there talking about.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:14 pm

If it's been going on for 2 years and the work is only a year older then that I'd get the bloke back who did the original work and ask him what he's going to do about it!

Cheers

gwenn
Labourer
Labourer

Post by gwenn » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:00 am

our thoughts exactly,the company have moved away and as we can't find them we think they have stopped trading.We have had no problems with any other work they did for us,monoblock drive,landscaping front garden,new path and some building work out back so as we need this problem addressed we need to find someone else.I still dont know if our front step is to high and if thats whats causing the problem.
Thanks

matt h
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by matt h » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:24 am

WITHOUT SEEING YOUR SITE, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CONFIRM, BUT IT DOES SEEM AS IF THERE HAS BEEN CAPILLARY ACTION DUE TO THE HEIGHT OF THE STEP BEING AT SANME LEVEL AS DPC. There are several solutions available, but it would require a site survey to provide the best option. Removing the existing step and putting it right would probably be the best option as you could incorporate a dpc in the rebuild. could be the cavity behind the step is blocked with builders' debris and water is transversing the cavity that way. It may require fitting additional airbricks.
If you could post pictures it might help

gwenn
Labourer
Labourer

Post by gwenn » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:57 pm

Thanks for your interest, we have now discovered that one of our near neighbours is a brickie to trade and he is going to take our step out and access what's going on behind step, he did suggest air bricks and rebuild step lower. Apparently he has done loads of work in our area and comes highly rated.
Thanks again.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1