DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Block up Gap Left by Removed Gas Fire

Postby Az-wow1 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:25 pm

Hello, We've just moved house and had to get the gas fire removed as was leaking gas. We don't want to replace it - instead block it up and get plastered over. My question is how to block this up? This is a detached house built in the early 80's. There is a flue which goes up inside the cavity wall - in the loft it appears to be aluminium tubing, then to a chimney on the roof.

Do I just block it up with bricks/mortar or is an air brick required?

Thanks Peter
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:21 pm


Simply Build It

Postby welsh brickie » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:56 pm

its best to leave 1 brick out to ventilate the flue. A plastic hit and miss vent can be installed after its plastered
welsh brickie
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2611
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:54 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics