BOILER FITTED IN LOFT
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bill2369
Apprentice
Apprentice

BOILER FITTED IN LOFT

by bill2369 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:03 pm

Is it ok to fit a gas fired boiler in the loft of a bungalow? If so is there a method of remote control eg to manually switch on/off boiler?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:38 pm

It is possible but can be expensive, as you have to:

Install lights
Board loft, at least a walkway.
There has to be loft ladders (cannot use step ladders for access)
There has to be a handrail on ladders and around loft hatch (in loft)
There has to be an ECV on the gas pipe before it enters the loft.

You can use programmable room stats, but to change heating and hot water temperature on the boiler stat - you have to do this at the boiler

htg

bill2369
Apprentice
Apprentice

BOILER FITTED IN LOFT

by bill2369 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Thank you Htg Engineer for your reply. Apart from all the requirements that you list, I'm not comfortable about a gas burning object in my loft anyway.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:39 pm

Not a problem really as it'll be room sealed, just the same as installing anywhere else in the house. The requirements I listed are for access and maintenance.

htg

emanday
Apprentice
Apprentice

Boiler in loft

by emanday » Sun May 30, 2010 5:12 pm

My gas boiler is the the loft, installed by previous owner. It is a Ravenheat, which almost every engineer has described as a "B & Q special".

It has proved to be an absolute pain, especially as I am a 62 year old female. Having to haul down the loft ladder (no hand rails on it or round the hatch in the loft) is totally impractical. Engineers hate it.

The Danfoss room thermostat/controller is basic to say the least as well.

I'd like to upgrade to a better boiler, preferably to a more convenient location in the house, but the difference in cost between same location and new location is horrendous.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1