Boiler wont light
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cerdyn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Boiler wont light

Post by cerdyn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:47 am

I have a sprint rapide boiler which wont fire up for hot water or heating. I've checked the overheat and dry fire cut out they both appaer to be ok. The fan will rotate a couple of times only. Any ideas?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:15 am

The fan rotates a few times - the fan may be stuck or struggling, is there power to fan when it is still ?

If there is power there but the fan is not going - the fan needs replacing.

The fan also needs to operate a air pressure switch, if the fan speed is insufficient a replacement fan is needed - but it could also be the air pressure switch at fault.

Hope this helps

cerdyn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Heat exchanger

Post by cerdyn » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:09 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]The fan rotates a few times - the fan may be stuck or struggling, is there power to fan when it is still ?

If there is power there but the fan is not going - the fan needs replacing.

The fan also needs to operate a air pressure switch, if the fan speed is insufficient a replacement fan is needed - but it could also be the air pressure switch at fault.

Hope this helps[/quote] Thank for the reply. We've had British Gas around, the first engineer got it going (not sure how wasn't there). It failed again another engineer came out and said the heat exchanger needs replacing - how can I be sure and what would I expect to pay? I know its a long shot but do you cover North London?

Many thanks again - Steve

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:41 pm

Nah sorry i'm from North East - Newcastle.

Ask friends and family for recommendations - don't let BG do it - it'll cost a fortune.

Get a local engineer to diagnose, as BG do get it wrong. Get him to repair / replace parts and get receipt. If you get receipts and their CORGI reg number then BG have no comeback saying it should be done under their homecare package.

Hopr this helps

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:03 am