BOSCH PSB1800 Flashes 3 Times Help Needed
Ask questions and find answers on all aspects of tools including hand & power tools.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Skyl
Labourer
Labourer

BOSCH PSB1800 Flashes 3 Times Help Needed

by Skyl » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:08 pm

Hello,

I have a Bosch PSB 1800 LI-2 since January 2017 bought on amazon. It started to doing something strange, it flashes all the 4 leds (3x battery level plus the lantern led) all at once, three times occasionally after press and hold the trigger, it does this on all the modes and forces and do nothing other than flashing the 3 times, after try pressing the trigger a few times it runs perfectly with the same power as when it was brand new, and only do it again after a few minutes with no use.
Batteries are fully charged, and it is not used everyday, just for bricolage here and there. What can it be? Should I ask amazon for warranty or is there anything I can do to fix it?

Here is a video that I recorded just now showing the issue

https://youtu.be/VVliALBn_VQ

Thanks

TimoS
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: BOSCH PSB1800 Flashes 3 Times Help Needed

by TimoS » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:40 pm

Skyl wrote:Hello,

I have a Bosch PSB 1800 LI-2 since January 2017 bought on amazon. It started to doing something strange, it flashes all the 4 leds (3x battery level plus the lantern led) all at once, three times occasionally after press and hold the trigger, it does this on all the modes and forces and do nothing other than flashing the 3 times, after try pressing the trigger a few times it runs perfectly with the same power as when it was brand new, and only do it again after a few minutes with no use.
Batteries are fully charged, and it is not used everyday, just for bricolage here and there. What can it be? Should I ask noamazon for warranty or is there anything I can do to fix it?

Here is a video that I recorded just now showing the issue

https://youtu.be/VVliALBn_VQ

Thanks

Iv no experience with that model but i spent many years selling DIY Bosch ( you might as well buy cheap black and decker because there is 0 quality) Normally torch Light comes on and stays on Anyways when trigger is pressed and battery level indicator Should also flash once when trigger is pressed ( unless battery has a separate button to check charge) also does your actual charger has indication lights what are showing fully charged, charging, faulty battery etc? If yes, then check with charger first.

ccbunney
Labourer
Labourer

by ccbunney » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:55 pm

Hello Skyl,

I had exactly the same problem with my drill and was about to give up on it.

However, I noticed that it was a bit damp after being stored in the garage, so suspected that some moisture was affecting the electronics.

Here's what I did to get it working again:

I undid all the screws in the casing and separated the two halves. At the bottom by the battery connector is a small circuit board. I removed this (still attached to the wires) and used a hair drier to blow it with hot air all over for a few minutes. Make sure you blow all around the little chips - this is where I reckon the moisture was getting and upsetting the circuitry that controls the speed.

Good news! After doing this my drill is now working again and the problem you describe has stopped!

Give it a go - it's not difficult to take apart and hopefully will bring your drill back to life!

Good luck....

pa1777
Labourer
Labourer

by pa1777 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:17 am

Hi, I had the same problem. Turns out that the MOSFET used to switch the voltage to the battery blows up. I did manually bypass the MOSFET to check, the motor works for a quick second and stops. Stopping is due to overheating protection since I'm using it with max current (bypass of MOSFET). I'll look for a replacement tomorrow since it's Sunday today. The component is AOD240. Images attached.
Attachments
7232020134529.jpg
723202013464.jpg

SPBettridge
Labourer
Labourer

by SPBettridge » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:12 am

Suffered the same issue.
Thanks for the advice. I followed the information to remove and dry out the circuit board with a hair drier and it now works perfectly. It is certainly an issue leaving it in the garage environment. Accidentally forgot to bring it in and it failed. Followed the drying procedure again and it works perfectly. Stays indoors from now on. Cheers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:56 am