Boxclever/Endeva refuse to install washing machine
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
buzz
Labourer
Labourer

Boxclever/Endeva refuse to install washing machine

by buzz » Sun May 06, 2007 10:02 am

Hello there. New to this, so forgive me if these things have been covered.

We've been renting a washing machine from Radio Rentals/Boxclever for around 15 years now. Our most recent washing machine packed up and Boxclever were going to deliver and install a replacement (as they've done a number of times in the past).

But this time the guy told me the water stopcock under our sink was seized (true), so he wouldn't fit the machine, in spite of the fact I told him there was another mains stopcock in the bathroom next door.

Then he tested the mains electrics, explored the front and back gardens and told me we had a "TT" system without an RCB (sorry, this is double dutch to me), which wasn't legal (the electrics were installed by a qualified electrician when the flat was converted some 25 years ago), so refused to install the machine on those grounds. He tested the socket the machine would normally plug into, giving a Polarity check P-N with a tick, P-E with a tick and an Earth Loop Impedance Reading of 0.80 ohms (I have the paperwork but it still doesn't mean much to me!!).

So, no machine. A mate popped round (he's not a qualified electrician but was an electronics engineer with BT most of his life) and told me we had a TN-S system (?), so don't need an RCB.

He suggested I fit (am I allowed to do this?) an RCB double socket in the kitchen in place of the existing "normal" double socket, and told me they should be saisfied with that.

We changed the stopcock, so that now works!

HELP! Any advice on this would be really gratefully received!!

PS. I'm broke!!

Thanks!

Buzz

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon May 07, 2007 8:07 pm

Hi Buzz, It would seem a little knowledge.....
your washing m/c. man probably found an old earth rod in garden and assumed you had a Terra Terra system & if so you must have an rcd for whole house system but, without looking I'm with your BT mate, because an earth loop impedence reading that low would be very unlikely from a rod.
you can easily confirm because the earth at your consumer unit will come from the supply cable sheath if TN-S or from the fuse 'cut out' near the neutral connection for TN-C-S either of which methods only require RCD protection on sockets
"likely to supply equipment out of doors" ie ground floor near door/window etc.
In answer to last? yes that would do it & as not modifying circuit you can DIY rcd socket, Regards SPARX

buzz
Labourer
Labourer

RCD

by buzz » Mon May 07, 2007 10:19 pm

Thanks Sparx!!

I'm very grateful -and I will quote you to the Boxclever guys!!

Thanks a lot.

Buzz :D

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:41 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:10 am