Bricked up eaves over wall plate in 1920s chalet
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

Lowlander
Labourer
Labourer

Bricked up eaves over wall plate in 1920s chalet

by Lowlander » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:45 pm

Hi There- I've just bought a 1926 Chalet with a large roof space, a dormer cuts into about half of it - but I noticed staright away that there are bricks, just 1 course, very consistently laid with what looks like lime mortar over all the timber wall plates. I noticed lots of historical wasp nests, long since deserted or poisoned- so my first thought was, did someone brick up the eaves to stop this from happening - or would houses of this age often have a brick course over the wall plate? This roof has a very solid layer of timber plank over the rafters, under the very heavy duty welsh slates- I think it was built by a timber merchant- and I notice that down by the eaves they are darker and maybe a little damper than the rest of the roof- and that possibly closing the eaves like this with bricks was done after the house was built, and maybe isn't such a good idea. I'm pondering removing them- as I am planning to insulate 450mm and will need to ventilate the eaves. Any have any thoughts on all of this? Many thanks for your insight / experience.

It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:25 pm