Brickwork around garage door and load bearing lintel
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
becca89
Labourer
Labourer

Brickwork around garage door and load bearing lintel

by becca89 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:29 pm

I have a single brick detached garage with a pitched roof - the house is 1950s but the garage was probably added later.

I'm getting the door (up and over battered metal, no longer fit for purpose) replaced with side opening timber doors, but the wooden frame that the metal door is in is rotting. I'd replace it, but I'm not sure if this is supporting the brickwork above it? The horizontal beam is pretty big, and sits across the top of the vertical beams - this makes me think it is supposed to be supportive? Does this mean I need acrows etc to change it? Does it need a separate lintel (metal? concrete?) putting in and then a frame just for the doors to shut against?

Also - the doors have a 3 month lead time, what can I do with the opening in the meantime if I get the frame replaced and then get the doors made with the new measurements? I don't keep a car in there - it's a home gym.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Brickwork around garage door and load bearing lintel

by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:17 pm

Hi becca89
It is likely that you will have to fit a proper steel single skin lintel so yes, you will need acrow props with strongboys. You may be able to fit the new lintel with the existing frame in place thus avoiding the security issue.
Regards S

Scary_Duck
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Brickwork around garage door and load bearing lintel

by Scary_Duck » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:06 pm

I would like just to weight in on this:

"The horizontal beam is pretty big, and sits across the top of the vertical beams - this makes me think it is supposed to be supportive?"

What do you mean by vertical columns? Do you mean the pillars? If you have two columns and the horizontal beam sits on both of them than the horizontal beam is supporting the construction and you can remove the old wooden frame without fears.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:56 pm