Bubbling, flaking and peeling garden wall paint
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
norbertkoof
Labourer
Labourer

Bubbling, flaking and peeling garden wall paint

by norbertkoof » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:52 pm

Every year i get this on my garden wall and i have to scrape it and repaint it, it bubbles when it rains in the winter then over a short time it brakes and flakes off, the wall was treated with PVA then painted with Santex outdoor wall paint. Would love to know what causes this to happen and what the solution is ?? cheers.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Bubbling, flaking and peeling garden wall paint

by stoneyboy » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:17 pm

Hi nobertkoof
If you are referring to a retaining wall, then damp is coming through the masonry blowing off your paint. There is no easy way to stop this happening.
If it is a free standing wall then you need to check that there is a capping and that this is sound and wide enough.
Regards S

ajbb77
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Bubbling, flaking and peeling garden wall paint

by ajbb77 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:28 pm

Moisture from either within the masonry (or between the paint film and render) is trying to evaporate out and pushes the paint off. PVA cannot be used in frequently wet areas (e.g., outside) because it re-emulsifies when wet. The solution is to use an exterior silicate paint that allows water to pass through. Expensive but long-lasting.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:07 am