Built in Wardrobe....
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Milkchew
Labourer
Labourer

Built in Wardrobe....

Post by Milkchew » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:40 am

Hi, looking for a little help / advice.

I am planing to build a built in wardrobe with sliding doors from scratch. Currently the room in question is roughly square, one end of the wardrobe will be against an existing blockwork wall, however the wardrobe will not be wall to wall so the other end will have to have some kind of end panel built.

Most of the stuff I am fine wth, however the thing that gets me is the general carcassing, the guts of the unit. All I intend to do is have two horozontal clothes rails inside, so it will be floor to ceiling height, however this is quite a bit of weight that it will carry which makes me think about the fixing to the new end panel that I will create. My question would be, does anyone have a general set of plans or rough guide / materials list for this that I could freely adapt? I mean im not sure if I should be using just 15mm MDF on the indide of the carcassing then another sheet of MDF on the outer (So MDF is sandwiching the carcassing) or plasterboard all over.

Thanks in advance.

toptips
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Built in Wardrobe....

Post by toptips » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:54 pm

I would think 6mm M.D.F. would be ok to cover the framework and i would use 2x2 for the frame,bit of overkill maybe.

Milkchew
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Milkchew » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:02 am

Suppose I could strategically place some of the frame work so I could fix the clothes rails into it therefore getting a decent fixing point as 6mm seems a little thin. Thanks for the reply!

toptips
Ganger
Ganger

Post by toptips » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:45 pm

Sorry if i was a bit unclear with my reply,i was only saying 6mm could be used to cover the framework,not be used to support a hanging rail.

Milkchew
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Milkchew » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:19 am

Thats ok, your help and reponse is appreciated.

gilphi
Labourer
Labourer

Post by gilphi » Tue May 01, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi,
I've just joined DIY Doctor and seen your post. I have just done exactly what you want to do. I can let you have my plans + photo's if you haven't already built your wardrobe.

laorc
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by laorc » Sat May 12, 2012 8:39 am

try spaceslide they had an interior system that does not need cutting from melamine and was really easy to fit

rogerbeaumont
Labourer
Labourer

Post by rogerbeaumont » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:45 pm

Hi,
I'm thinking of constructing some wardrobes in the bedroom. I am hoping to build an 'L' shape structure. Have you got any advice on materials, tips etc.
Much appreciated

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:05 pm