Bungaroosh!
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rebka
Labourer
Labourer

Bungaroosh!

by Rebka » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:52 pm

Has anyone any experience/advice for damp-proofing bungaroosh walls. Also for stripping wallpaper from bungaroosh walls?
I've been given bits of pieces of conflicting information.
As the walls are made up of flint, wood, lime mortar and anything else that was lying around circa 1875! I've been told to not use a steamer to get the paper off with and also I've been told that the plaster cannot be hacked off as it will break up and crumble.
Any advice welcome - I am a layperson so simple terminology pleeeease.
Thank you

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Rebka,
Suggest that if the existing paper is coming unstuck you stick it back in place and then repaper ontop of the old. Do not use a paper which will seal in the wall eg vinyl.
Damp-proofing the wall is almost impossible, if its an outer wall make sure the outside is sealed, ground levels are below interior floor level and the inside surface can breath.
end

Rebka
Labourer
Labourer

by Rebka » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:48 am

Hello
Unfortunately - damp is making the paper come unstuck and it has got to come off at the bottom as I want to put a damp proof course in. It's an internal party wall all the way along the left side of the house and yes, it is old revolting vinyl wallpaper throughout the house - not been touched since the '60s by the looks of it!
Any tips?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:12 pm

Rebka,
The vinyl paper is going to make things very difficult - you need to remove it or damp will be sealed into the wall. Try separating the vinyl top surface from the paper baking. Once the top surface has gone wet the remaining paper and peel this off the wall.
You will have zero success installing a DPC just allow the wall to dry out over a period of time.
end

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:40 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:38 am