cable: 2 core and earth
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
peterlos
Labourer
Labourer

cable: 2 core and earth

Post by peterlos » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:50 pm

I haven't been able to find anything written on why 2 core and earth cable can be supplied with the earth cable smaller than the active and neutral.
Have seen catalogue products with 2.5 sq mm A & N and 1.0 & 1.5 sq mm earth cable included. Is this cable within regulations?

I don't live in a country where regs are highly regarded. People do get hurt because of poor compliance, little understanding and a marked lack of trained professional electricians. I can't do the work myself but I want to understand the background and aspects to supervise the job of rewiring a house.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:19 pm

Without going into regulations the main thing is time. When power goes out on line and back of neutral this can go on for a long time and get the wire hot but when it goes out on line and back on earth it should trip something so the time is very short.

If all regulations are followed then it is OK but where only some are followed than there can be problems.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:10 pm