Cable in Trunking for Under Cabinet Lighting in Kitchen
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
penfold68
Labourer
Labourer

Cable in Trunking for Under Cabinet Lighting in Kitchen

by penfold68 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:45 am

Hi all. I'm fitting under cabinet lights on the kitchen. My plan is to run 2.5mm twin & earth from a fused spur that's on the ring main down to a switch on the wall and then off to the LED driver for the lights. For neatness, i'd prefer to run both cables to and from the switch inside mini pvc trunking, over around a metre. 2 questions - 1) any reason not to do this, and 2) would the cables being in the same trunking cause a drop off in current, or because they're on the same circuit is that not an issue?

Cheers in advance.

Dave

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Cable in Trunking for Under Cabinet Lighting in Kitchen

by Mr White » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:09 pm

If the cable is after the fused connection unit (You called it a fused spur) then you can use 1mm cable, since the "general idea" of a fused connection unit is to allow you to have a fuse so you can use a smaller cable after the FCU.
The cable supplying the FCU must be the same size as the cable to which you are "spurring" from.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Cable in Trunking for Under Cabinet Lighting in Kitchen

by collectors » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:52 am

Ditto with Mr White, 1mm from your fused spur to a light swith because it would be a real pain trying to get a 2.5 cable in a light switch. Make sure the fused spur also has a 3 amp fuse in it. Running cables in trunking for a short run like this will be fine, but if it was over a very long distance you could start getting induction if you was runningf mains cable with 12 volt ac led's. But not over a couple of meters.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:41 am