cable run help.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
burtonwt
Labourer
Labourer

cable run help.

by burtonwt » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:06 am

Hi

I hope someone can answer this question regarding cable wiring embedded in plaster.

I would like to provide an additional socket in the bedroom about 1 meter above an existing socket which is on the ring main and is positioned just above the skirting. I also know that the existing cables run down from the ceiling, are protectively capped, are under the plaster but are not tight.

I know that I can add the new flush socket/box without damaging the cables. Is it acceptable to pass 1 leg of the ring cable through the new socket box to the skirting level socket without cutting into it, and then add the new socket into the ring by cutting into the other cable leg. A new short length of cable would be passed down to the lower socket to complete the ring.

I know that I could just make the lower socket a spur from the new socket by just using 1 length of 2.5mm but if possible I would prefer to keep both sockets on the ring as I may need to spur from them later.

Just to re-cap its the "passing through" of the ring cable I am not sure about and I have not seen any ref to this before in this forum or anywhere else.

Thanks

Burtonwt

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: cable run help.

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:49 pm

[quote="burtonwt"]Hi

I hope someone can answer this question regarding cable wiring embedded in plaster.

I would like to provide an additional socket in the bedroom about 1 meter above an existing socket which is on the ring main and is positioned just above the skirting. I also know that the existing cables run down from the ceiling, are protectively capped, are under the plaster but are not tight.

I know that I can add the new flush socket/box without damaging the cables. Is it acceptable to pass 1 leg of the ring cable through the new socket box to the skirting level socket without cutting into it, and then add the new socket into the ring by cutting into the other cable leg. A new short length of cable would be passed down to the lower socket to complete the ring.

I know that I could just make the lower socket a spur from the new socket by just using 1 length of 2.5mm but if possible I would prefer to keep both sockets on the ring as I may need to spur from them later.

Just to re-cap its the "passing through" of the ring cable I am not sure about and I have not seen any ref to this before in this forum or anywhere else.

Thanks

Burtonwt[/quote]

BURTONWT
YES SOUNDS OK. USE RUBBER OPEN 20 MM2 GROMMETS
IN KNOCKOUTS ON METAL BOX OF NEW SOCKET.
VERY IMPORTANT TO RETAIN CONTINUITY OF RING CONDUCTORS . CONNECTIONS NEED 2 B SECURE. AND EARTHING
CONDUCTORS SLEEVED WITH GREEN AND YELLOW SLEEVEING.
IDEALLY GET A SPARK TO CHECK WORK AND TEST.
BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:06 pm