Can a concrete garden cause rising damp ?
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PistolPete22
Labourer
Labourer

Can a concrete garden cause rising damp ?

by PistolPete22 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:03 am

Ever since I've moved into my maisonette I noticed that it had damp issues. The lower parts of my outer wall has blistering paint due to damp. So I got a contractor to give me a quote to have the wall re-rendered and re-painted. In 2019 I paid for the concrete removed from my garden and got a lawn laid down. I only recently realised the contractor who did the job never removed the concrete, but simply threw soil over it and laid down the lawn which now parts have started to die off.

The contractor suggested that the concrete was causing the damp by rain water accumulating on the concrete which goes into the wall as it doesn't have anywhere else to go. If I remove the concrete it would allow better drainage and possibly solve my rising damp issue.

Does that makes sense and would removing the concrete help with damp issues in your opinion ???

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Can a concrete garden cause rising damp ?

by stoneyboy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:35 pm

Hi pistolpete22,
If the concrete is at least 150mm below DPC level there should not be any problem with rising damp. If however the concrete is at or above DPC level you should get this rectified..
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:52 am