Can I Add a Spur ie. new Plug Socket to This?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
whylou
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can I Add a Spur ie. new Plug Socket to This?

Post by whylou » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:22 pm

image1.JPG
Hi everyone, help needed please

I've attached a picture of a switch which was added to power the lights under the kitchen cupboard (2 of them)
I want to add a plug socket to provide extra power for my wife's bluetooth speaker, as the other plug sockets are across the other side of the kitchen
Can this be done using a junction box from the existing switch and then from there to a surface mounted plug socket...or have I missed something or is there a better way??
I'm a DIYer and not an electrician (and trying hard to impress the wife!!)
If you could give me your thoughts as to whether its do-able that would be great
thanks everyone

Whylou
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Can I Add a Spur ie. new Plug Socket to This?

Post by ericmark » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:39 am

Of the fused side i.e. with wire to light you can add, but not to unfused side.

Likely the fuse is rather small so it may do speakers but not much else. If it were me I would replace the back box with a double back box, then use LAP grid switch modules to build up what I want. However that means some wiring, it would allow two fuse holders and two switches or blanks. If the unit does not switch the light then using the grid system you can get two fuse holders in a single socket box.

In theory you should supply one fuse from the other so total max is 13A. But since light fuse is so small I would wire feed into both even with 2 x 13A fuses it's no worse than a double socket.

whylou
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Can I Add a Spur ie. new Plug Socket to This?

Post by whylou » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:25 pm

That's great - many thanks for taking the time to reply

whylou

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:43 am