Can I Cover up my Weep Holes on Single Storey Extension
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Spurano
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can I Cover up my Weep Holes on Single Storey Extension

by Spurano » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:26 pm

Hi there.

Just got our single storey pitched roof extension finished...it's built onto the rear of house and acts as a kitchen diner. The kitchen window and door were removed and a steel beam inserted above to make the opening.

Quick question....above the flashing on the new pitched roof (where it joins the original brick wall) the builder has inserted cavity trays in the wall and there around 10 weep holes. I thought weep holes were only at ground level. These are up to12 feet above ground level. I'm worried insects or mice will get in. Would it be okay to cover these???

Leadworx
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Can I Cover up my Weep Holes on Single Storey Extension

by Leadworx » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:58 am

If the weep holes are above a metal tray it would be to allow any water trapped on top of the tray to exit through the block work and ventilate. If you seal these up any water percolating down through the blocks will hit the metal tray and have no where to go. Its the same on chimney DPC trays where ideally you leave small holes in the cement above the tray. If the yare large holes you could put vent covers over them to stop birds etc getting in?
Chris

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:53 pm