Can I paint an ajoining neighbour's wall?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mobrien
Labourer
Labourer

Can I paint an ajoining neighbour's wall?

Post by mobrien » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:04 pm

Hello,

My drive adjoins a gable end wall that belongs to next door. ie; the boundary is the gable end/my drive.

This side can't be seen by my neighbours only me and I would like to paint it as it is adjacent to my own frontage and actually looks like it forms part of my house (but doesn't internally nor does it support it).

Can you advise if I need to seek their permission to paint it (as we have some other issues going on between us) or as it is facing me alone, can I just paint it?

Thanks,
Mark.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:30 pm

mobrien,
"can I just paint it?" not recommended you will be liable for any damage to the wall. It's not your wall.
end

mobrien
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mobrien » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:07 am

Thank you for this and initially would have agreed with you, however;

Since posting my query, I have researched it further and found that there is a Party Wall Act that mentions what you are allowed/permitted to do with a 'party wall'.

Can anyone clarify what the postion is on my query when interpreting the Act? It still seems a little unclear, especially as I am not sure if my particualr position constitutes the wall in question to be a party wall?...

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1