Can I Remove a Continuous Internal Wall on Ground Floor and Upper Floor?
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DIY-Si
Labourer
Labourer

Can I Remove a Continuous Internal Wall on Ground Floor and Upper Floor?

Post by DIY-Si » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:51 am

I'm looking at a property that's on the market and I have a question about structural engineering.

Within the house there is a 3.16m wall (separating dining room and sun lounge/parlour). Directly above this is another wall separating two upstairs rooms.

The wall in the dining room already has a sliding door in it (approx 2.5m across) so I'm assuming there is already a supporting beam in place above it.

My question is: If I wanted to remove both walls (IE to open out dining room plus sun lounge into one room, and open out the two upstairs rooms into one room) is this possible hypothetically?

Obviously I'll get in a structural engineer to make a final decision and calculate the correct size of beams etc but I just wondered if it's even possible to do this...

robshort18
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Can I Remove a Continuous Internal Wall on Ground Floor and Upper Floor?

Post by robshort18 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:37 am

I should imagine it is possible.

However, cannot possibly answer this properly since we don't know if it's a structurally integral wall.

I'm imagining that will probably be an issue for you. Finding out the walls are structurally integral...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:59 am