Can I remove my CH system?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dchawki
Labourer
Labourer

Can I remove my CH system?

by dchawki » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:22 pm

I want to replace my old central heating system with a new one. I've just bought the house so have no history for it.
However, the gas boiler is a SERVOWARM SUPREME PLUS, with a balanced flue behind the radiator. The brochure looks like it is from the 1980's. The system, in a flat with no airing cupboard, has a small expansion chamber located in a bedroom(!) but there doesn't appear to be a mains feed to the system..
I've tried to bleed the system (it has a bleed valve) and opened all the vents that I can, but no water comes out.

My question is, if I isolate the gas supply, can I take out this system without fear of flooding the flat?

Thanks.

jimhet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can I remove my central heating system

by jimhet » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:48 am

I had a Servowarm system like yours back in the seventies, we used to
top up the system by pouring a few jugs of water into the expansion tank/vessel [which in our case was located on the landing] every few months. I wouldn't start ripping out the pipes, rads, etc before draining the remaining water, we had a draincock on our system, which was located on the outside of property, but I know some times they are fitted adjacent one of the downstairs rads. You should also think about getting a GRI to disconnect and isolate gas supply.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1