can I use a disused fireplace to house dvd player etc?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
question22
Labourer
Labourer

can I use a disused fireplace to house dvd player etc?

by question22 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi, I have a disused fireplace that was closed up and a gas fire installed before I moved in. I have removed the gas fire and had the gas sealed off there are some bricks missing and I can see the old fireplace. My flatscreen is mounted on the wall above it and I want to know if I can have the chimney blocked/weatherproofed so I can house my dvd player, ps3 etc in that space without worrying that rain etc can get down and damage it. There is quite a strong breeze coming through the hole in the bricks, I have read about airbricks and cowls, will these suffice? I can't seem to find any topics about this, thanks in advance

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

fireplace

by welsh brickie » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:52 pm

you must seal the chimney completly to make it watertight.Then install an airvent in the chimney breast.
I have done the same idea in my previous house.

question22
Labourer
Labourer

by question22 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Excellent, could you tell me roughly the cost and the time it would take to block the chimney? thanks again

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:35 pm

i would say if your having someone do it for you £100-150
1 days work

wangjiwei
Labourer
Labourer

How to choose the best wedding dress

by wangjiwei » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:39 am

Looking at these, would they strike alarm bells? I realise that they may or may not come up on a general survey. We have agreement from the lender that they will perform a survey for free. Have also agreed with the mortgage provide to delay searches until the survey is complete. :lol: cheap wedding party dresses
:roll:

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:22 am