Can't Drill Far Enough for TV Wall Bracket
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Terobi
Labourer
Labourer

Can't Drill Far Enough for TV Wall Bracket

by Terobi » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:05 pm

Hi all, newbie DIYer here trying to mount a TV to the chimney breast above a never-used gas fire.

Now, the tilt and swivel mount I'm trying to mount comes with 2 × 50mm lag bolts and plugs, and is rated for a 20kg load (my TV is 8.5kg).

The problem I'm having is that the positioning of the necessary holes means that I have hit the edge of some kind of concrete/fire brick material surrounding the flue itself 40mm into the breast, and I cannot drill any further with a standard hammer drill.

So these are the options that seem most obvious to me at the moment;

1) Utilise the third hole in the bracket, and buy 40mm lag bolts/plugs, so that instead of 2×50mm bolts I have 3×40mm ones - though I don't know what effect this will have on the stability and loadbearing capacity of the mounting.

2) Fill the existing hole with poly, and purchase a different design of wall bracket which mounts in different places (and simply hope there's not also concrete in the new positions).

3) Give up the whole thing as impossible and leave my TV taking up space in the corner.

My preference at the moment would be for option 1, since it has the lowest cost attached. However, as I'm not 100% on what effect the loss of anchor depth would do for the load bearing capacity, I want the input of more experienced folk before I make my decision.

Cheers!

Jonny

silverfox56
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Can't Drill Far Enough for TV Wall Bracket

by silverfox56 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:38 am

I've had a similar issue drilling into a reinforced concrete lintel over a window frame. Borrowing an SDS+ dril made it easy to drill.

Alternatively - as to using more but shorter bolts - maybe you could ask the bracket manufacturer directly.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:38 am