can't even start to dismantle tap!
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sunshine
Labourer
Labourer

can't even start to dismantle tap!

by sunshine » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:49 pm

I'm afraid I haven't even got as far as a previous poster with dismantling ceramic tap.

I have one in kitchen - hot and cold run from single movable spout. Here, the [i]hot[/i] tap drips. If I turn it off, then briefly turn [i]cold[/i] tap on/off afterwards, it stops drip. However, water also collects at the stem where tap joins sink.
I tried to lever off the screw cover, but although I loosened it I couldn't get it off completely - a bit scared of forcing it further in case I crack something. So I rammed it back on. It's now the same, but much looser than before.

Meanwhile single cold water ceramic tap on bathroom basin is dripping. I don't know the make, but there is no way I can even begin to insert knife where the blue ring is. It's also a [quote]gold[/quote] tap so am scared of chipping it. I have noticed that when I turn it off it turns beyond where it should. I can therefore knock it back a little and it seems to click into its [quote]off[/quote] mode. Then the drips almost stop.

Sorry to sound so brain dead but I'm not a DIY person and I am trying to avoid incurring costs!

I have looked on Lunns website for range of cartridges but at the moment I can't even access my own taps! Any help humbly appreciated

sunshine
Labourer
Labourer

dismantling tap

by sunshine » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:31 pm

I took photo of tap to friendly plumbers merchant. They told me the name of it. It doesn't lever off as many videos show - it unscrews. It took hours of forcing before it budged, but then it comes apart nice and easy.
I rang manufacturer with details and they recommend a soak in mild limescale to see if this cures it before replacing cartridge.
All that remains is to find a way of unjamming the stopcock under the stairs!

I shall carry on - persistence does pay! Even two new cartridges from manufacturer cost under £30 - considerably less than 2 visits from plumber!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:01 pm