All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bazak1
Labourer
Labourer

capping sink tap pipe ends

by bazak1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:32 pm

Hi,
I need to romove and replace my sink and cabinet, but there are a couple of jobs i need to do while the sink is out of the way.
I want to fit the flexible pipe with isolating valves on to existing pipes, but can i fit them now and just turn the valve off, and if so can i be certain that they wont blow off or leak if i turn water back on while they aren't connected to the taps.

parkyplumber
Apprentice
Apprentice

by parkyplumber » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:21 pm

You could risk it for a biscuit.
A true plumber would cap it off especially if its upstairs.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:47 pm

What's to stop them blowing off or leaking when they are connected to the taps ? you either trust them or you don't - you can't beat copper pipe.

htg

BoyElectric
Apprentice
Apprentice

by BoyElectric » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:14 pm

I think bazak means the flexible braided hoses with built in isolation valves htg. You can't beat soldered copper, but flexible hoses are by far the best way to connect taps.

Assuming that's what you mean bazak, if they are correctly fitted, they WONT blow off or leak. You can turn the water back on once they are fitted and then open the valves when you connect the the taps later.

Also, it's much easier to attach the taps to the sink BEFORE you fit the new sink to the countertop. Then all you need to do under the sink is attach the hoses!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:49 pm

They are the best DIY way of connecting taps. But they do restrict the flow and tend to cause more problems than they solve. Especially when fitted to bath taps and showers. Not too bad for sinks and wash basins I suppose as you don't need a great flow rate, but I wont use them.

Htg

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:29 am