cavity insulation
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
webs
Apprentice
Apprentice

cavity insulation

by webs » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:19 pm

I recently recieved a grant for cavity wall insulation appon this i decided to research what it entailed and the pro's and con's.Oppinions differed some said it had caused new damp problems and cold spots in areas,others said everything was fine.But i am unsure as whether to have it done.My property is a gable end terraced 2up 2down , the air bricks are situated at a low level as the living room floor is suspended.(1)will the insulation come out of or block up the air bricks.(2) will my cavity and floor be able be able to breath when the insulation has been completed(3)am i likely to have condensation or damp problems. any advice would be helpfull.

fresh246
Labourer
Labourer

by fresh246 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:53 pm

I'm sure your aware that your wall area is the biggest area of heat loss so is well worth getting done. Now with regards to problems if its done by a professional firm there shouldn't be any.As far as damp problems go there shouldn't be any as long as there using something like Owens Corning's supafil which is impervious to water, it can be possible that you might get cold spots thats can be because of a small cavity and rough mortar on the block work but generally the installer will be able to pick up if the there's a problem through experience, your air brick should be sleeved if not the installer will knock the air brick out sleeve it and put in a new one and finally the material is breathable so no worries there hope this helps

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:15 am