cavity trays and vertical dpc
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vibetime
Apprentice
Apprentice

cavity trays and vertical dpc

by vibetime » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:22 pm

i understand that when adding a cony to a house that the external wall then becomes internal, and i will have a door and a window in my new cony . they have weep vents installed, so do i really need cavity trays above these across the full span of the cony roof ?
is there a way of inserting a wide dpc or even lead through a mortar joint, so i dont need to remove bricks ?
also i am told ineed a vertical dpc to stop damp going across the external wall into the internal wall inside the cony, but does cutting through the outer leaf not weaken the structure?
i dont want any issues in the future but is this reall needed
thanks.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

conservatory

by welsh brickie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:49 pm

I can understand your concern,When installing a conservatory you dont fit damp trays as its expensive and difficult to install them.
But to stop any damp I usually spray aquaseal clear silicone above the conservatory as a precaution,
And you dont install a vertical damp course,As the frames are plastic and butt upto the wall and are sealed with silicone

vibetime
Apprentice
Apprentice

by vibetime » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:53 pm

thanks for your help again, but one of my cony side walls is a cavity wall so will i still not need a vertical dpc ? i must admit i have never seen them installed , but it would look awfull if one was needed after its all built ?
thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

vertical dpc

by welsh brickie » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:50 pm

unsure wether you need a vertical dpc would have to see a picture before commenting.....

vibetime
Apprentice
Apprentice

by vibetime » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:59 pm

ok ill try get some pics tomos nite n give a better description

vibetime
Apprentice
Apprentice

by vibetime » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:06 pm

cant get any pics on, the thing that worrys me is one wall starts half a brick in from the house side wall, and i am concerned about there not been enough wall ties with it been next to the edge of the wall ? surely cutting lines through the bricks must weaken the structure ?
maybe im been daft but once its built i dont want any problems.
cheers

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:49 pm