Ccourse of action for overflowing toilet
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
austinlighterfighter
Labourer
Labourer

Ccourse of action for overflowing toilet

Post by austinlighterfighter » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:34 pm

hi there am having a right old do with my toilet and the sewers, came back home from the nightshift and i couldnt believe what i saw in the bathroom. toilet has overflowed with sewerage( not mine) how has this happened? the wc hasnt been flushed by me or anybody else! how can it climb 8 foot up the soil stack in to my bathroom !! did this a couple of days ago as well but lucky enough i was in there and quickly put a piece of board on the wc and stood on it to stop everything overflowing then as soon as it has come it goes, then alls ok for awhile!! any ideas would be a god send!! help! please!!

arseneknows
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by arseneknows » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:54 pm

must be back up from the drain outside mate.

if its over flowing in your toilet you need dynorod.

jondeau
Ganger
Ganger

Post by jondeau » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:00 am

There is some fault with the sewer that your drain connects to.

Responsibility for the sewer is in most cases down to the local water authority or council. Get on the phone and create merry hell, threaten to call in the Health and safety people and the local newspapers unless it's fixed right away.

When you find out who has responsibility for the sewer, be sure to bill them for the mess, distress and damage you have suffered.

JD.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:04 pm

just had a very similar problem in my house, luckily no sewage came back up, just water and I thought how can it back up that much.

Lift the manhole cover outside to see if that is full.

I used drain rods from the toilet down and from the manhole up because I thought it was just a blockage. I found clay marks on the drain rods which told me there was a collapsed drain or some similar problem. Had to have drains repaired, renewing the cast iron to clayware joint and about 2m of pipe.

The first sign for me was, listen when the bath is emptied or if the shower is running to see if you can hear water in the soil pipe. You should hear it running but not filling, you will be able to tell if its filling. The sewage could of been your own, it may have gathered at the bottom of the soil pipe and eventually risen if its been unable to get away.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:19 am