Ceiling downlighter
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Soutar
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling downlighter

by Soutar » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:17 pm

The problem is a ceiling downlighter (brand unknown) from which, for no apparent reason, the ES bulb has dropped, still secured in it's bulb-holder, so that together they remain suspended below the outer fitting which is still firmly in place! Having isolated the circuit and unscrewed the bulb, I note a raised portion on the outside of the bulb-holder which would appear to marry with a cut-out in the base of the outer fitting. With this in mind the bulb-holder slides neatly up into the outer fitting, but I can't then rotate it or see any other way of securing it there. If anyone can tell me what I am missing, I will be able to fix my neighbours problem.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Ceiling downlighter

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:21 pm

[quote="Soutar"]The problem is a ceiling downlighter (brand unknown) from which, for no apparent reason, the ES bulb has dropped, still secured in it's bulb-holder, so that together they remain suspended below the outer fitting which is still firmly in place! Having isolated the circuit and unscrewed the bulb, I note a raised portion on the outside of the bulb-holder which would appear to marry with a cut-out in the base of the outer fitting. With this in mind the bulb-holder slides neatly up into the outer fitting, but I can't then rotate it or see any other way of securing it there. If anyone can tell me what I am missing, I will be able to fix my neighbours problem.[/quote]

SOUTAR
WITH SUPPLY ISOLATED , IF U CAN ACCESS FROM ABOVE
LOFT, TAKE UP FLOOR BOARD ECT, OR REMOVE FITTING
CAREFULLY FROM CEILING , IF ENOUGH SLACK IN CABLE
EXAMINE FITTING CLOSELY TO SEE WHERE IT HAS COME APART. MOST SCREW OR CLIP OR HAVE A NUT AND BOLT SET UP
THAT GOES NEATLY BACK TOGETHER.
IN EXTREME CASES SOMTIMES THINGS SNAP OFF !
WHICHVER U HAVE IT IS EASIER TO DISASSEMBLE AND LOOK AT IT.
BLAKEY1963

Soutar
Labourer
Labourer

by Soutar » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:39 pm

Thanks for your prompt response, Blakey1963. Access from above not possible. From below, have managed to disengage complete fitting from ceiling. Close inspection shows no nut/bolt or screw arrangement, nor signs of breakage. By judicious use of two short lengths of picture-hanging wire, have secured the bulb-holder within the outer casing, not very professional, and mystery remains. I notice another fitting nearby, showing more of it's bulb than it should, so maybe all will become clear when I tackle that one. Wish me luck, and thanks again.
Soutar

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:58 pm