ceiling lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jtmp
Labourer
Labourer

ceiling lights

by jtmp » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:27 pm

I'm trying to connect a 2nd landing light to my existing one, working off same switch. However, when i connected it by putting the brown to live. Blue to Neutral and Earth to Earth only the existing light came on. I also tried connecting the same as the original light. Brown to switch, Blue to neutral etc. Still nothing, only the original light comes on. I have tried the light fitting elsewhere and it is okay, as is the bulb. My other concern is that the wire from the switch (2 way landing ) only contains a red wire and bare earth wire (red going to switch and earth to earth). House was built in 1969 wiring has not I believe been altered.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: ceiling lights

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:56 pm

[quote="jtmp"]I'm trying to connect a 2nd landing light to my existing one, working off same switch. However, when i connected it by putting the brown to live. Blue to Neutral and Earth to Earth only the existing light came on. I also tried connecting the same as the original light. Brown to switch, Blue to neutral etc. Still nothing, only the original light comes on. I have tried the light fitting elsewhere and it is okay, as is the bulb. My other concern is that the wire from the switch (2 way landing ) only contains a red wire and bare earth wire (red going to switch and earth to earth). House was built in 1969 wiring has not I believe been altered.[/quote]
JTMP
DESCRIBE EXACTLY WIRE 4 WIRE AT LANDING FITTING !
SOUNDS A TWO PLATE SYSTEM NEUTRAL IN AND OUT AT
LIGHT AND LIVE FROM SWITCH. (USUALLY 3 SINGLE CORE CABLES.) U SHOULD B ABLE TO CONNECT YOUR LIGHT BETWEEN THESE NEUTRALS AND SWITCH WIRE AND POWER YOUR 2ND LAMP.
GET BACK 2 ME

BLAKEY1963

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:35 pm