Ceiling Rose Does not Have a Live but Only Switched Live
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
suhas.chatekar
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling Rose Does not Have a Live but Only Switched Live

by suhas.chatekar » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:36 pm

I am in the process of fitting a smart relay to my lights (Shelly 1). I do not have any neutral in my switch so I assumed that the ceiling rose will have a live in, live out and switched live. However, I only see a switched live.

I have a feeling that the live in and live out are in the ceiling but have not been pulled out. Is it ok to just pull out the cable till the live in and live out connections come out? Has anyone seen such wiring before?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Ceiling Rose Does not Have a Live but Only Switched Live

by Mr White » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:28 pm

It's NEVER SAFE to "just pull a cable out" you will have no idea what it is connected to and what damage you will do if you do try and pull it.
You need to physically trace the cable.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 am

As Mr White has said, and you can get smart switches that don't need a neutral, however those without neutral will need dimmable bulbs and I found with G9 LED bulbs also needed a 4 uf capacitor in the light fitting which is not small enough for standard ceiling rose. I really struggled getting it to physically fit.

I fitted Energenie MiHome smart switches, duel reason, one was no two way switching in bedroom so want to switch off lights when in bed, use a remote control for that, and also the bedroom, dinning room, and office lights help to light the drive, so nice to switch on before walking from car to door. Also living room handy not to need to get up and switch on lights when it gets dark, although that latter may be detrimental as it also means don't get up to make coffee.

So 5 rooms with smart light switches in, only one needed a capacitor adding. Also same hub works three double sockets and four TRV heads, one double socket used to switch on outside lights.

Most light switches needed spacers or new back boxes as old ones not deep enough. And testing becomes a problem as they will not switch on without a bulb being in the lamp, remove bulb and they auto switch off. But likely they would solve your problem.

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

by chriscba » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:50 am

There might be a junction box in the ceiling, if its a bedroom light, go up the loft & have a look, but if it's a downstairs light, have a look if any floorboards have been disturbed in the room above over the light fitting.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:39 am