Ceiling Rose
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Slappedbear
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling Rose

by Slappedbear » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi - Just hoping someone can help me out here .... I am 'attempting' to change a light fitting & got myself in a muddle with the wiring. I have a hallway light with 2 light fittings coming off it. There are 2 cables running into the 1st ceiling rose both with a red, yellow, blue & earth wire. Unfortunately I didn't mark where the wires come from, I know, rookie error.. Can anyone advise where each of these wires should go? Unfortunately there isn't one marked for the live switch.
Thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Ceiling Rose

by ericmark » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:17 am

Putting it simply no.

There are three colours used with house wiring either Brown, Blue and Green/Yellow or with older house Red, Black, and Green/Yellow if even older the Green/Yellow was just green. Where other colours are used they should be sleeved with correct colour.

Now in real life we also use three phase cable coloured brown, black, grey or red, yellow, blue and often sleeves are not used. Really no problem although common for when fitting the cables to put cuts or tape on it to identify. However since all line wires should be brown there is no standard colour code which can be followed.

I have tried posting links and pictures on the forum but it's just not user friendly it is such a pain I have given up. However I am sure you can google and find instructions do remember to add UK in search.

Normally red, yellow, blue cable is used for two way lighting. However those cables do not normally go to the rose but just between switches.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:38 am