Central heating adding a radiator
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Central heating adding a radiator

by greengrass » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:43 pm

[b]Adding a radiator to a room.[/b]

There is a radiator one side of the room and I want to add another the other side of the room. lifting the boards reveals 22mm pipework with 15mm leaving to feed the existing radiator.

I assume the 'Flow' side is the control side of the rad and the return is on the 'balance' valve side?.

Now I'm all for easy fit so
1. Is there a self cutting fitting available to fit to existing 22mm pipes so I can exend them without having to drain the system down [gravity fed I believe]
2. Are there plastic pushfits available for central heating?
3. Is there plastic pipe available for central heating flow and feed pipes.

I'd like a c/heating engineer do it but I'm strapped for cash and won't employ when I can't possibly pay.

wishiwascorgi
Tradesman
Tradesman

by wishiwascorgi » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:56 am

hi greengrass,

You will have to drain the system down as the water will continue to fill as the water drains down. you can save time by closing all radiators valves and then you only have to empty and fill the pipes. if it is open vented you will have to stop the cold water supply re-filling the header tank.

There is a great product that i use called Hep2o which is especially made for central heating. This will make the job easier. Plenty of suppliers are selling this on ebay.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

extra rad

by greengrass » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:21 pm

Thanks wishiwascorgi for your info especially locking down rads to save time on draining whole system will check sites and main c/heating suppliers in my area.
Greengrass

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

by greengrass » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:02 pm

Back again! Just been told after looking for header tank my system is a sealed system so no header tank. If I turn off the incoming mains feed will that stop water entering boiler? So at the moment wishiwascorgi back to resting.

Self cutting joints?
Our local plumbing supplier is a mine of information when asked about the self cutting joints [22mm to 15mm if there is one ] all I got was 'er aint got any but will have to get some' then continued with 'do-it-all [focus] do them' - are they ok for central heating sytem flow pipes? 'Dunno, suppose so'. Not very helpfull is it. Anyone know of self cutting fittings that would be suitable for connection to central heating???.
Greengrass

wishiwascorgi
Tradesman
Tradesman

by wishiwascorgi » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:23 am

to be honest greengrass even though i am capable of soldering copper joints i would never use one of these fitting as all it does is make a hole in the pipe and then washers seal around the hole to stop it leaking. As the system is pressurized and running at at around 60-90degrees then i would not use these as there is a good chance of your ceiling coming down. For the sake of £100 plus materials i would get someone in who knows what they are doing and is competent in his/her job. Also you would get a guarentee.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

additional rad

by greengrass » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:50 am

thanks Wishiwascorgi I'll just have to start saving to make sure I've enough to pay the c/heating engineer.
greengrass

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1