Central Heating pipes knocking
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DJay
Labourer
Labourer

Central Heating pipes knocking

Post by DJay » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:17 pm

My central heating sysyem has started to make loud banging and knocking noises. This only starts about an hour or so after the heating has gone off. I recently had some plumbing work done which I think meant that the meant that the water to the radiaters was switched off. (you can prrobably gues I am no expert) When the work was complete the plumber forgot to switch it back on and now i can't seem to get hold of him. I switched the water on myself and noticed that there was a lot of water going to the overflow so i turned the water down. A week or two later I put the heating on and all was fine, but I was awoken an hour or so after going to bed by the pipes around the boiler knocking very loudly. No matter what I did it wouldn't stop, which was I bit frighening, but enventually it stopped. I tried it again a few days later with the same result. I would like to know if this is this dangerous and what I can do about it? Do I need to slow down the the water flow to the boiler? The boiler worked fine before the plumbing work and to be honest money is really tight and i was hoping this is something i could remedy myself. Help!

Thanks
DJ

muttley
Tradesman
Tradesman

banging pipes

Post by muttley » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:31 pm

can you remember what work the plumber did so we can get an idea on how to help you

Bay Plumbing
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by Bay Plumbing » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:11 pm

Hi DJay,
It sounds like the pipework has not been clipped properly and the banging could be the pipes cooling down(does it rattel and roll when you start up the heating?
is it a new system?or just a referb?

if your near Penzance i could pop round!!!??

Hope this helps,
Mark

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:56 am