Central heating (pump & boiler)
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Huwcyn
Labourer
Labourer

Central heating (pump & boiler)

by Huwcyn » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:30 am

1. Start with the boiler. Firebird Combi 70. 3-ish yrs old. Always given off fumes which are a kind of 'heavy oil' smell, right from the start. At the beginning (1st 6mths) thought it was just a case of 'burning in' new paintwork. It carried on, and we have had the installer here twice, and he has 'identified' a reason, does something, and goes away. He has sealed around the balanced flue oulet for one. Nothing has changed. We come down in the morning, and the Utility Room (where the boiler is located) is full of these fumes. They disperse during the day - traffic back and fore, doors opening etc, but they are there 1st thing every morning. Any suggestions?
2. The central heating pump is always rattling (which I presume is due to air in the system). Again the installer has been back to fiddle, and I don't intend to get him back again. How do I bleed it - pump that is? Simplistic terms please.

Bay Plumbing
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Bay Plumbing » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:09 pm

Hi,
1st thing if the installer has been out a few times and not rectified your problems Fumes being the major one ,ask for his OFTEC reg number,if he doesn't have one contact them! as you may not be the only one.
2nd to vent your pump, as the pump is running, there is a screw on the front about the size of a fifty pence piece,unscrew this (not all the way as water may be HOT) have a bucket or tub handy to catch water, tighten back up when all the air is released.

Hope this helps,
Mark

muttley
Tradesman
Tradesman

boier smells

by muttley » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:05 am

Seems to me that you could have incomplete combustion,or a small oil leak,or loose cover to baffles,or flu not assembled correctly.Either way get an oftec reg engineer to recommision the boiler and set it up as near to manufactures recommendations.

Huwcyn
Labourer
Labourer

by Huwcyn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:03 pm

Thanks for those tips folks!

I have, actually, been considering getting a second opinion about the installation of the boiler.

Huwcyn
Labourer
Labourer

by Huwcyn » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:08 pm

Furthermore, the installer is a well-known local guy empolying 5 or s blokes, and is well-thought-of by all the reputable builders. I can't understand why he cannot (and that's he himself, not one of his workforce) solve the problem. He is known for lack of after-care service.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:17 am