CENTRAL HEATING
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
psychrai
Apprentice
Apprentice

CENTRAL HEATING

by psychrai » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi
I live in a 2 bedroom terraced house which i think was built in the sixties. As far as i am aware the boiler/central heating has not been changed. In terms of effectiveness the heating system (Potterton system - warm air heating) it is focussed more in the living room and takes ages to heat other parts of the house namely the bedrooms.
As a result i have been using electric heaters which has shot up my electricity bills.
The boiler seems to work well and i have had no problems at all.

In view of my current rising bills is it worthwhile moving to a new system. Would someone be able to guide me on what would be a good heating system which is cost effective for a 2 bed room property and the approximate budget needed.

Many thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:57 pm

A combination boiler with radiators are ideal for a two bedroomed house.

Radiators are sized to heat the room, and you will only heat the hot water that you use.

Condensing Combi Boiler £800+
Radiators 7 or 8 at let's say £100 each (some will be more, some will be less) depending on size - you then have pipe, fittings, room stat, timer(if not included in boiler price) flue if the flue is vertical through roof. etc etc and labour.

I'd budget for around about £3000

hope this helps,
htg

psychrai
Apprentice
Apprentice

by psychrai » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:09 pm

Thank you so much Htg. I am grateful.

psychrai
Apprentice
Apprentice

by psychrai » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:12 pm

Forgive my ignorance in advance.

when using a combi boiler (boiler and radiators) do both work simultaneously? when working are the radiators working in all parts of the house? Would this not be expensive in terms of bills. Or is the heating controlled idividually in each part of the house?

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:48 am

You would have T R V s (Thermostatic Radiator Valves) on new rads that you set manually to the heat you require for each area. Hope this helps Regards

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1