ceramic tiles on wooden floor?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
erik
Labourer
Labourer

ceramic tiles on wooden floor?

by erik » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:38 pm

Hi All,

This is my first post and I am hoping somebody can help.
I would like to replace my lino flooring in the bathroom with ceramic tiles.
The floor is a chipboard floor on to of joists (400 mm apart), and is only 1780 wide x 2100 long.
Can I put tiles straight onto this, or do I have to rip the chipboard out, and replace it with something more substantial?

Many thanks,

Erik

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:25 am

erik,
Depends on how flexible the chipboard is - if there is movement as you walk on it you need to reinforce it or replace it.
If sound treat the chipboard with exterior grade PVA and stick the tiles down using cement/latex floor adhesive - do not use the pre-mixed stuff.
end

David James
Labourer
Labourer

Re: ceramic tiles on wooden floor?

by David James » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:29 pm

[quote="erik"]Hi All,

This is my first post and I am hoping somebody can help.
I would like to replace my lino flooring in the bathroom with ceramic tiles.
The floor is a chipboard floor on to of joists (400 mm apart), and is only 1780 wide x 2100 long.
Can I put tiles straight onto this, or do I have to rip the chipboard out, and replace it with something more substantial?

Many thanks,

Erik[/quote][quote]
Laying ceramic tiles on a chipboard floor in a bathroom should methinks be avoided. Why? Because if water penetrates thru the tile grout or at the edges, which it will in time, the chipboard will soak it up like a sponge and swell.
Better to use marine grade plywood screwed with brass screws to joists.
Consider using Thermonet or similar underfloor heating mats for extra underfoot comfort. [/quote]

robmaidment
Labourer
Labourer

Ply on top of chipboard

by robmaidment » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:40 pm

Dont put directly on chipboard, put a ply down at least 6mm then you can tile on top, and if in future you take up the tiles you wont damage the original chipboard floor

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:22 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:46 pm