Change of use for an existing room above a garage
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dKb
Labourer
Labourer

Change of use for an existing room above a garage

by dKb » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi,
I'm looking for some guidance on what is required to convert an existing space above a garage into a bedroom.
The garage is attached to the house at ground floor level and the roof space above it has front and rear double glazed windows, it is boarded out/ plastered, and was advertised as a games room when we bought the house.
I would like to know how to find out what work would need to be done and what permission is likely to be required to enable me to class this as a bedroom.

Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:57 pm

A window and safe exit in case of fire.
Should also not effect any other fire exits to a degree that it becomes more dangerous.
i'm no expert but I'd suggest calling your local building controls officer and asking them, some are very helping!
KB

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:31 pm

If I've got the regs right the safe fire exit can't be through the garage, and you'd need any door or other opening into the garage to be sealed to smoke in the event of a fire.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:45 pm

What is the current access to the "games room"?

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1