changing an electric oven
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mike_S
Labourer
Labourer

changing an electric oven

by Mike_S » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:58 pm

I have bought a 2nd hand oven as a stop gap as my old one has just died. The old oven was powered by a standard plug but the new oven looks like it has been previously fitted into a seperate cooker switch on a wall.

My kitchen doesnt have this type of fitting so would the oven be able to have a plug attached and put into a standard socket or do I need an electrician to fit a dedicated cooker switch?

If so, how much us this likely to cost?

Thanks for any info

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:15 am

Mike_S
You should have a cooker switch on the wall - the cost will depend on whether a new circuit will have to be provided.
end

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:55 pm

You do mean oven not cooker? If it is a cooker with electric hob, it will need it's own dedicated supply as the hob part uses lots of kw. Double ovens often need their special supply from a cooker switch too, but not always. Single ovens can normally be run from a standard 13 amp plug.

If you open the front door of the oven, around the front edge (not the door) is usually a white sticker with the kw rating. A 13 amp plug will supply up to 3.0 kw or 3000wats.

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:38 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:12 pm