Changing Ceiling Rose to Kids Novelty lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ToeKnee
Labourer
Labourer

Changing Ceiling Rose to Kids Novelty lights

by ToeKnee » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:40 pm

Hi,

I am hoping I can get some help here. I recently moved into a brand new house where I only fgot ceiling rose fittings...I wantto start replacing these on a monhtly basis and decided that I would start with my toddler son's room. I unscrewed the ceiling rose, undid the wires that werer connected in a loop system....I was left with 2 cores...

Both sides had a Brown wire, an earth (yellow/green) and then the one had a blue wire with a brown cuff and the other had a plain blue wire.

The new novelty light had a connector box only had a place to connect L,N & E.

I set to work, connected both the E wires where marked and then proceeded to put both the brown wires in one hole and the remaining blue wire and the blue wire with the brown cuff in one hole.

I switched the electics back on again and the light was working, but as soon as I switched it off, the lights tripped, I had to reset the light swtich as well as this is obviously a circut breaker. This means that the switch wire (the blue one witht he brown cuff) is connected wrong.

Can somebody please help. I have been to B&Q but according to their electrician, this is apparently the new Europeean light system and he is not familliar with this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks[img][/img][img][/img]

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:39 pm

Hi, the blue with brn sleeve is the sw. live to your new lights L term.
the blue is Neutral, the other 2 brns go in a spare connector NOT connected to your fitting, earths as you have them.
As only 2 twins this is prob last one on circuit as most will have 3 twin/e cables, when doing these 3 browns in spare conn. 2 blus in N of lt. + 1 blue/bn sleeve in Live,
regards SPARX

ToeKnee
Labourer
Labourer

by ToeKnee » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:50 pm

Sparx,

Thanks for your reply. I have done the following:

I connected the blue wire with the brown sleeve to L, the other blue wire to N and thhe yellow/green to E. Then I took the 2 brown wires and connected them up in a connector block (each in their own hole so that they don't touch) and taped this up to insulate them. The lights didn't work.

Should I have connected the 2 brown wires into one hole in the connector block before taping them up?

Many thanks again in advance.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:28 pm

Hi agn,
Yes both together in spare block, this then connects incoming live to sw cable live, the sleeved wire brings sw live back to fittings live,
B.W. SPARX

andy.blackpool
Apprentice
Apprentice

by andy.blackpool » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:42 am

Did it get your lights working.

ToeKnee
Labourer
Labourer

by ToeKnee » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:08 am

Sparx,

Thank you for your help. I will be doing the lights later this afternoon after the littleun's sleep!

Incidentally, I opened up some of the other lights int he house as I need to change them and the one in the lounge is 3 sets of everything, so I am going to use the same way of wiring as I did above and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:07 am