Changing spotlight to standard rose
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
christatedavies
Apprentice
Apprentice

Changing spotlight to standard rose

Post by christatedavies » Mon May 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi

I'm trying to change an old spot light to a standard ceiling rose. I've taken a picture and uploaded it to http://bit.ly/kIDTbC

When I've wired up 2 different roses, I get nothing... Could it be that there is a transformer somewhere? Is this why the spotlight has 2 cables attached to the connector block that aren't coloured?

I'm confused!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Mon May 02, 2011 11:09 pm

It is rare to get just a twin core cable feeding lights. Most extra low voltage lights have pins to connect the lamp where as the low voltage (230v) GU10 type have a bayonet fitting. Maybe you can remember what you removed?

The inverter/transformer is often just pushed lose into the ceiling void and measuring the output from an inverter one often gets zero volts as with no load inverters tend to auto close down.

Only method is to measure with a meter but I would connect a 100W bulb first in case there is an inverter which may auto close down.

Colours mean nothing. Both line and neutral are live wires and with many lamps can be swapped around so common for them to be clear.

christatedavies
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by christatedavies » Tue May 03, 2011 8:48 am

[quote="ericmark"]Maybe you can remember what you removed?[/quote]

I haven't removed anything. I fitted the black rose and let the spot light hang. That's how they fitted, but the spot was screwed into the ceiling where the rose is now...

I don't quite understand what the rest of your message means, but I do know they are push fit lights GU10 type bulbs, not the bayonet style.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Wed May 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Since you say push fit I would expect 12 volt. I expect you will find tucked in ceiling void a unit to convert from 230v to 12v this may be lose and you may be able to get it through the hole above ceiling rose.

Although more likely you will need to lift a floor board.

If it follows regulations it should be assessable but DIY people don't tend to follow regulations so one has to be careful.

christatedavies
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by christatedavies » Thu May 05, 2011 10:27 am

Although more likely you will need to lift a floor board.

Thanks for your help guys. As I thought, I'm going to have to lift the floorboards. That'll be a nice job for this weekend.

If it follows regulations it should be assessable but DIY people don't tend to follow regulations so one has to be careful.

You're so right there. This household's previous DIY'ers have left me in a few head-scratching situations already!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:50 pm