Cheapest way to Level a Severely Sloping Floor?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

thatguy
Labourer
Labourer

Cheapest way to Level a Severely Sloping Floor?

by thatguy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member and this is my first post. I am quite a keen DIY'er and have had industry experience with being a construction professional. I have two rental properties that I mainly do the maintenance on myself, leaving all the regulatory things such as gas and electric to the professionals but other than that I'm pretty free range.

I am currently installing a new kitchen within one of the properties that has a 20m2 floor and a MASSIVE gradient diagonally. I want to tile the floor to give the kitchen and house that extra wow factor. The floor was covered in about 40 years worth of flooring stacked up, equated to about 13 mm of build up over the years using various materials. I had stripped all of that back and ground the glue covered floor back to bare concrete so we can start afresh. I then got some 2 mm square packers and a precise level and proceeded to mark out the floor for levelling to see how much compound I needed. This is where it gets fun, I have found out that I need to fill between 15mm and 25mm of floor to make it all dead level. Going by the packers the floor is also U-shaped. What is the most cost effective way to level this, as my challenge is that it is too shallow for many things other than latex. As at the moment I am looking at requiring around 38 bags of compound at £12/bag.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

It is currently Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:28 am