Chimney Advice - Lintel Hunt, Knock through, get professional in?
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
OllieInCroydon
Labourer
Labourer

Chimney Advice - Lintel Hunt, Knock through, get professional in?

by OllieInCroydon » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:52 am

Hi all,
Hoping for some advice on first home fireplace -hoping to get (DEFRA friendly) wood burner installed.

Have had 1950s gas fire decommissioned, gas supply stopped and gas fire removed by GasSafe tradesperson. We have then removed raised hearth, mantelpiece (1950s, concrete) and firebox/piece ourselves.

We were hoping to then open up fireplace more before getting someone in to ensure secure, then another to install burner.

While left and right outer-most bricks look in good shape, I assume they're not load bearing... I think next inner layer is - and is spalling?. Then obviously final innermost layers are newer and meant to be at an angle but also look terrible. Bit hard to see, there's a lot of cement and concrete.

My questions are:

- Is it worth going 'Lintel Hunting' further up the plaster? Or are these two bars likely it?
- Worth knocking through concrete at back? or these diagonal bricks?
- how does the.brickwork look?

Photos are too big, so link here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KyXCSyqea7NYKKyd8

There is also a fireplace above this upstairs.

Let me know if link doesn't work or any questions.
Appreciate your advice.
Thanks,
Ollie

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Chimney Advice - Lintel Hunt, Knock through, get professional in?

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:43 pm

Hi ollieincroydon
The original fireplace will have been the two outer 225mm piers, the rest is just rubbish infill. Remove the infill bit but take care removing the lintel- you will then have a reasonably tidy fireplace to start the redesign. You may have to prop the centre of the opening and fit a new wider lintel.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:35 pm