Chimney back to solid fuel, htg engineer can you help?
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

Chimney back to solid fuel, htg engineer can you help?

by AdamsHeating » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:17 pm

Hiya there people.

Are there any special requirements I need to consider when changing a chimney back from gas to solid fuel?

The chair brick has been knocked out to make way for the ILFE and it is an ordinary unlined chimney as far as I can see with my torch.

I have done the Flue flow test, fine, I'm just not entirely sure I can just put in an appropriate container and start burning wood...

Your help and advice would be sincerely appreciated,

AH.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:31 am

As long as the bricks and mortar look ok, has passed the flue flow test, and hasn't deteriorated then the chimney construction itself should be fine.

When you buy the burner box, grate and fret etc the majority will come with a cast chair brick.

Does this help, or were you hoping to fit a basket for burning wood (no chair brick)

htg

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

by AdamsHeating » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:22 am

Ideally I wanted to burn both coal and wood, but id imagine i'd be doing more of the wood burning.

Will that make much difference?

Cheers for help.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:57 pm

It wont matter what you burn if the flue and installation are correct, I was asking if you were wanting to install basket style fire, or a tradiational fire with fire box etc....

like this one, chair brick will be built into the fire case. http://www.firesonline.co.uk/acatalog/B ... nsert.html

or basket type
http://www.firesonline.co.uk/acatalog/S ... Fires.html

htg

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

sorry for delay HTG

by AdamsHeating » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:03 pm

Hiya soz, been away for a while, a combination of holiday and forgetting my password, hence the slow response, france was nice though, thanks for asking!

I like the idea of fitting the basket, is that going to be a problem/ a bit more complicated?

Flue flow is fine, gas fire has been removed, gas pipe removed and hole (for pipe) filled, is it just a case of sticking in the basket and burning like it's bonfire night?

As a CORGI representative I have been doing a bit of fishing, I think I want to do this HETAS training, do you think it's worth it HTG? is it a standard or a voluntary thing?

regards,

AH

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:06 am