Cigarette Smoke Odour From Next Door
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RikJackson
Labourer
Labourer

Cigarette Smoke Odour From Next Door

Post by RikJackson » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:03 pm

I have recently moved into a new mid-terrace house. Our bedroom backs onto a bedroom from next door. The person who uses that room smokes in their room and the smell of cigarettes is coming through into our bedroom. This happens even when all our windows are closed (as they are a lot right now being winter).

I have no idea why this is happening and if there is much (if anything) I can do to prevent it. Any suggestions or help would be much appreicated.

Stewart7
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Cigarette Smoke Odour From Next Door

Post by Stewart7 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:22 pm

I had this problem when I moved into a house built in the 1930s. Our adjoining wall is a solid 9" brick wall and no joist hangers have been used. The ends of the joists of our bedroom floor go into the wall, alongside the joists from next door. The smell was coming through the gaps around the joists. When we decorated, we painted all the skirting boards and filled the gaps under them with a silicone sealant. Then new carpet was fitted, and the smell stopped.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1