Circulation Pump on central heating/hot water
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ford Anglia Gnome
Labourer
Labourer

Circulation Pump on central heating/hot water

by Ford Anglia Gnome » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:08 pm

I live in a two storey house and have a vented gas central heating system which is working fine.

My query is (with the aim of getting some more bedroom storage space) I want to move the indirect hot water tank from the bedroom airing cupboard on the 1st floor to the loft.

The loft is on two levels and I would like to put the hot water cylinder in the lower loft (which is still over the 1st floor but 50mm below the level of the main loft),

The outlet on the cold tank would be about 50mm above the top of the repositioned hot tank and the water in the cold tank is about .5m deep

My biggest concern is "will the hot water from the boiler on the ground floor get pumped up to the loft hot water cylinder?"

Do conventional Grunfos-type pumps have the power to get the water up that extra 8 feet? Or would I have to install and additional or more powerful pump?

In the loft the normal vents to the cold tank and the boiler feed/expansion tank would all be about 1m higher than the top of the hot water cylinder.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:19 pm

Ford Anglia Gnome,
"will the hot water from the boiler on the ground floor get pumped up to the loft hot water cylinder?" YES but you may have to fit a vent on the highest primary tank tapping.
"Do conventional Grunfos-type pumps have the power to get the water up that extra 8 feet? Or would I have to install and additional or more powerful pump" YES
end

Ford Anglia Gnome
Labourer
Labourer

by Ford Anglia Gnome » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:23 am

Thanks stoneyboy

Your reply has lifted by spirits this morning. My wife will be pleased to hear that she will get and extra load of cupboard space to fill with junk.

Ford Anglia Gnome

Ford Anglia Gnome
Labourer
Labourer

by Ford Anglia Gnome » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:11 am

Stoneyboy

Just checking
Is that YES a more powerfull pump is needed ? If so what should I go for?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Ford Anglia Gnome,
Sorry got excited with the copy and paste standard pump will be OK a more powerful pump is not needed.
end

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1