Cleaning central heating
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
steve7000
Labourer
Labourer

Cleaning central heating

by steve7000 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:32 am

Two years ago i cleaned my heating system with fernox3 into the header tank like it said on the bottle, i did the same thing this year but after the last flush and refill there is a blue tint to the the hot water. Can anyone tell me why this? Also i bought a bottle of Fernox1 Inhibitor and it says put in expansion tank,
why one in header and other in expansion?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Cleaning central heating

by plumbbob » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:08 pm

steve7000 wrote: Also i bought a bottle of Fernox1 Inhibitor and it says put in expansion tank,
why one in header and other in expansion?

They are one and the same thing. Just different terminology.

The blue tinge is a little more difficult to explain. Were any of the additives you have put in the system blue in colour?

steve7000
Labourer
Labourer

by steve7000 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:15 pm

Thank you for reply, No blue in the Fernox F3 cleaner,its a amber color, and could you explain about Header and Expasion? i thought they did different things. thanks again

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:52 pm

Header and expansion are different things. The header tank is not only a storage vessel for keeping a head of water in a circuit (it can also be referred to as a cistern) but it also doubles as an expansion tank to cope with the expanding water.

Maybe you are confusing the terminology with an expansion vessel which is basically a cylinder containing a diaphragm and has the sole purpose of maintaining an even pressure in a system regardless of water state.

I have no suggestions regarding the coloured water other than to examine the hot water header tank to ensure no debris or other matter has fallen in and contaminated the water

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1